Netflix and chill, why not? If this is how you’re going to spend your Valentine’s Day, look no further!
So, Velentine’s Day is getting closer, some of you will have already booked a dinner with your loved one in a fancy restaurant, some of you will be going to the cinema, some of you will not celebrate it at all and some of you, like me, will be stuck at home with the kids or maybe prefer to save some pennies and celebrate at home with a nice meal. Anyways, no matter what you will be doing, I have the perfect treat to snack on with your loved one, or your friends or just by yourself (these beauties will keep you good company, I promise!).
And what would that be? But hey, some lush white chocolate and mint coated popcorn of course! White chocolate and mint pair extremely well together, as the mint gives a sense of freshness and compensate the sweet taste of white chocolate. This is a quick snack/dessert that can be prepared in the morning or even the night before, so that you don’t have to spend your special day worrying about cooking something special. Also, I am warning you, I tried to make it healthier than the regular shop-bought coated popcorn, by reducing the amount of fat used in the coating and by not adding any extra sugar. However, I still had to use white chocolate, which is quite high in fat, but overall I would say that it’s definitely a more calorie-friendly option than a lot of other cakes and desserts. Make sure you have a healthy dinner and you will be ok! Plus, it’s only Valentine’s Day once a year, right? 😉
Let’s talk about the preparation now. I would recommend making the recipe a bit in advance, as the popcorn will need time to cool in the fridge. The night before or the same morning would be ok. Use popcorn kernels and not a bag of already made popcorn, as they contain way too much salt or sugar and they cost literally 5 times as much. Cook the popcorn, as per instruction and once they are popping start preparing your coating.
Chop some fresh mint very small, if you have previously rinsed it under water, make sure you pat it dry. If you have a food processor, it would be very handy, as it only takes a minute to chop the mint and it gets chopped very thinly.
For the coating I have simply mixed the mint with some melted white chocolate and coconut oil. I have used coconut oil because I love that mild coconut taste it gives to food and I often use it to fry or as a hair conditioner or as a skin moisturizer, seriously you have to try it, it does wonders! You can pick up a tub for around £3 from any supermarket and a little goes a long way.
Once you have made the coating, pour over the popcorn in a large bowl and mix it gently using a spatula. Then, lay the popcorn on a baking tray lined with baking paper, cover with foil and put it in the fridge for a couple of hours to set.
This recipe can also be made dairy free simply by using dairy free dark chocolate or you can still use dark chocolate if you are not a big fan of the white one, so now you have no excuses not to try it!
Oh, and I almost forgot, Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 5og popcorn kernel
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 5g fresh mint leaves, chopped very small
- 20g coconut oil (or butter)
- 100g white chocolate (or dark or dairy free chocolate)
- pinch of salt
- Heat 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil in a large saucepan and add the popcorn kernels. Mix well so that all the kernels are coated with oil, put a lid on the pan and cook the popcorn until they are all popped. With the lid always on, shake the pan every once in a while, to prevent the popcorn at the bottom from getting burnt.
- While the popcorn cook, rinse the mint leaves, pat them try and chop very thinly, using a food processor if possible.
- Melt the white chocolate and coconut oil (or butter) in a bowl, by placing the bowl on top of a pan of simmering water. Add the mint and mix well.
- Once the popcorn are cooked, season with a bit of salt, pour the white chocolate coating on top and mix gently using a rubber spatula.
- Transfer the popcorn onto baking tray, previously lined with baking paper, cover with foil and put in the fridge for a couple of hours, or until the coating has set and it’s hard.
- Enjoy in front of your favourite movie or your favourite book and make sure you leave some for your loved one! 😉